Explore wellness with filipino cuisine this year!
In partnership with Alliance of Filipinos for Immigrant Rights & Empowerment (AFIRE), Usapang Pagkain explores how Filipino food can best serve our community through free, monthly events. The event series resists the notion of Filipino food as incompatible with healthy living. It is a response to the dearth of culturally-relevant health education and the epidemic of cardiovascular disease and diabetes in our community. Usapang Pagkain will bring generations of Chicagoland Filipinos together to share our stories with one another and collectively learn practices that center our health, community, and food. Each event will highlight a Filipino dish or dishes, including recipes. Specifically organized to provide a much-needed community space for dialogue on health and wellness, Usapang Pagkain will examine the importance and potential of Filipino food in nourishing our body and soul.
Our next event is thursday, march 22, 6 to 8 PM: “mga Isla may isda,” featuring recipes using fish & seafood.
- A light dinner of the featured recipes will be served.
- All are welcome and the event is free.
- AFIRE and our Usapang Pagkain event series is housed at the Hana Center, 4300 N California Avenue, Chicago
- RSVP online.
Thank you to everyone who participated in our January 13th event, “Healing & Comfort: Salabat, Tinola, Arroz Caldo.”
- View or download our recipe handout (in Tagalog and English languages).
- Watch our recipe demonstration.
- Thanks to Balitang America for featuring our series!
The 2018 Usapang Pagkain events schedule and themes are:
- Monday, March 19, 6 to 8 PM: “Mga Isla Na May Isda: Fish-centric Recipes”
- Saturday, April 14, 2 to 4 PM: “Bahay Kubo: Gulay & Other Vegetables”
- Wednesday, May 23, 6 to 8 PM: “Adapting Classic Filipino Dishes”
- Sunday, June 24, noon to 3 PM: “Isaw & BBQ: Family Fun”
Unless noted, all events are free to the public and will take place at the Hana Center, 4300 N California Avenue, Chicago. Schedule and venues are subject to change, please check http://afirechicago.org and http://filipino.kitchen for the most up-to-date information.
Thanks for coming to Kultura Festival 2017!
Started in 2015 by food media and events group Filipino Kitchen, Kultura Festival aims to highlight the best in Filipino-American food and arts, and is carefully curated to appeal to those who personally identify with Filipino culture and the merely curious or uninitiated. Kultura Festival coincides with the start of Filipino American History Month, a nationally commemorated holiday every October since 2009, with the passage of US House Resolution 780 and Senate Resolution 298.
Thanks to the Chicago tribune, WBEZ, yas on the lifestyle network/the filipino channel, and newsy for covering kultura Festival!
Limited supply! FILIPINO KITCHEN X BAYANI ART
LIMITED QUANTITIES T-Shirts: $30, only in sizes XS or XL
SOLD OUT! Aprons: $35, one size
All prices include shipping and handling within the continental US.
To order, please e-mail: natalia [at] filipino [dot] kitchen